Last week the girls had their conferences at school. I was literally in and out of Kayla's conference in three minutes because her teacher said she is doing great and said she is the definition of the perfect student. She has observed that Kayla loves to please others and always has a smile on her face. I thought those were great observations from her teacher considering they have only been in school for about 6 weeks.
Next was Theresa's conference. Her teacher, Mrs. G, and I hit it off on Meet the Teacher night and I was excited for the school year. The conference times are usually 15 minutes but Mrs. G and I ended up talking for over 30 minutes. Only about 10 minutes of that was about Theresa and the rest was other stuff. I found out that she lives right around the corner from us and is into running and is training for the Rock 'n Roll Marathon too! She invited me to go running with her and I agreed only after finding out that we run at about the same pace. I did tell her that my training has been pretty much non-existent because of my school schedule but that I did manage to go to the gym a few days before and crank out 5 miles. She assured me that it'd be ok and we picked a day to go.
Well today was The Day. I was a little nervous all day because I had wanted to make it to the gym at least one time before today but never did. We chatted briefly after school about it and picked a time and she said she'd call me when her little one was in bed. I guess she was excited because she called me as soon as she got home from school and gave me directions to her house and then she called again when she was ready. Meanwhile, I was trying to pump myself up. After all, this was Theresa's teacher!
I went to her house, met her husband and we were off.
I learned several things tonight:
1- My neighborhood is very hilly.
2-She's a LOT faster than what she said she was.
3- I canNOT run and talk at the same time without sounding like my lungs are about to burst.
4- I will never be able to run any distance without throwing up.
Yes. That's right. I threw up. WITH. THERESA'S. TEACHER!!!!!
*head shaking and hung in shame*
We were on our last hill and she's chatting away like it's no big deal about who-knows-what and she's looking at her watch and I remember her saying, "this is the last hill, I'm hard-core and always pick up the pace." I'm thinking, "Dear God, please let me get through this without passing out, I'm almost done." I probably should have prayed for my dinner to stay down too. Ugh.
I was almost up the hill and I started to feel really queasy so I stopped knowing what would happen next wouldn't be pretty so I told her to go ahead and go and that I'd catch up. She asked if I was sure and I said yes. So she makes it to the top and comes back to get me and wouldn't you know it, her timing was perfect, because as soon as she came back to me, I bent over and yakked on the grass. Thank GOODNESS I didn't make any disgusting burping noises. I'm pretty sure if I had made burping noises, I would be going to the school office tomorrow and pulling Theresa out of that school and putting her in a new one.
As she's pushing the button on her watch to make it glow so she can see my face, she's saying OH MY GOSH! ARE YOU OK?? I'm like yeah yeah, I throw up all the time. She asked about a dozen times if I needed a paper towel and insisted that I get water when we get back to her house. For the next 5 minutes, she was apologizing for pushing me too hard and me saying no no, I NEED to train and push myself, I have 6 weeks left. Then we started running again and all my embarrassing yakking stories were told- the flambeau run, the shot blok, and now this one.
Oh well. We did find out that we are about the same age; she's one year older than me. She's super-de-duper nice and we get along well. She DID invite me to go running again so I guess she wasn't THAT grossed out.
Poor Theresa. I hope she won't be known as "the kid who's mom can't run 3 miles without throwing up."
*sigh*
Awesomeness.
1 comment:
Oh Kim...I haven't giggled and laughed through a blog like this one in a long time. So funny for me...so embarassing for you, I'm sure. Hang in there. Think of it this way...it's good you threw up in front of her on someone's lawn rather than Teesa throwing up in her classroom. Still giggling. I know, I know. I should be feeling sorry for you but this is just too funny! Way to make an impression!!
Post a Comment