This year instead of soccer, Kayla played volleyball. At first she was unsure of it because she was put on a younger team and didn't know any of the girls. After a couple of weeks, she had made new friends and was scoring points by returning the ball over the net and eventually making her serves over.
I love watching the girls play sports because of the progress I see them make from the beginning to the end of the seasons. This was the first sport she has played that she has improved the most. I credit her progress to her determination and hard work and her tough-love coach. I was not a fan of him at first because he seemed too hard core but about halfway through the season, he became my favorite. He was a grandfather to two of the little girls on the team and really pushed the girls to have confidence. Because of this, I could see Kayla really start to be aggressive at the games and go after the ball.
And of course, the whole reason she plays sports: THE trophy.
* Halfway through the season, we found out that coach was battling cancer. Although he was going through chemo at the time, he was there at every practice and every game, encouraging the girls to have confidence in his own special way. Unfortunately, he lost his battle on Christmas Eve. I will always remember him for bringing Kayla out of her shell athletically.
No comments:
Post a Comment